Portfolio Piece 3 (Week 1)

For this portfolio piece I wanted to do a prop since I felt that way I can go back and polish the other two pieces and that is what I did. I have always been a fan of Dota 2 and I even wanted to try something stylized hence I chose this concept of Sentry Ward and went ahead with it:

My schedule for creating this asset is as follows:

Week 1: Complete blockout and start high res
Week 2: Complete high res and Game res so that I can give it for rigging
Week 3: Complete textures and animation

For Week 4: I want to complete all the improvements I need to do for all my projects as per the feedback and make them presentation ready for industry review:

I approached the ward in Maya by completing the block out which was quite easy. I put an image plane and went ahead creating the geometry for it. The snips from Maya are below:




I created the blockout in such a way that it can be rigged properly. I brought the high res into zbrush to start sculpting. For sculpting the ice, I tried two methods to create the mesh:
First was to extrude the geometry from the basic shape from Maya and bring it to Zbrush and sculpt on it.
Second was to bring the model to Zbrush and extract the geo.
I found out that extracting the geo in Zbrush makes it smoother and rounded than I want hence I stuck to the extrusion from Maya and used that to sculpt.
This is how my prop looks in Zbrush: